Monday, August 11, 2008

A birthday lunch to remember

When I created this blog I thought it was the right time since I wasn't too busy. Since my first post thought it has been a different story. I've been busy busy busy. I wanted my first post to be an ode to macaroni and cheese since I love pasta and I love cheese. Mac and cheese is also a firm family favourite. With no time on my hands I found myself making macaroni meals out of a box instead.


This weekend I had to make time regardless of what other things I had to do since it was my boyfriends birthday and I wanted to spoil him with some good food. Mac and cheese wasn't on the menu since its something we have all the time. I initially planned a great 5 course meal that we were going to have with a few friends but I changed my mind cause my bf wanted it to be just us.


I simplified the menu but it still included a lot of food and cooking. I spent the whole day in the kitchen that day (which I enjoyed) which left me feeling tired today. The menu included:


First Course - Toasted French bread (with garlic butter) topped with roasted tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.



Second Course - This course wasn't supposed to be included but because I was wishing for this from the day before I decided to go ahead and make it. It was beef stir fry with egg noodles.




Third Course - Roasted chicken thighs with mashed potato and roasted vegetables. I served this with a red wine sauce (it was my first attempt and I failed miserably). I was supposed to make a herb crusted rack of lamb for this course but couldn't get and out of frustration turned to chicken. Maybe I should mention why I was so frustrated. I went to our local butchery and asked for a rack of lamb and the sales lady insisted of giving me a rack of ribs. I then asked for the butcher who also insisted that it the same thing. I don't know maybe I wasn't asking for it by the correct name.



Fourth Course - Mmmm....dessert course. White chocolate cheesecake served with strawberry coulis and vanilla ice-cream.



All in all it was worth it. I had lots of washing up to do. I always use lots of dishes when I cook big meals. Did I mention that I even made carrot cake. Oh well I enjoyed it but next year we going out for lunch so that I can enjoy eating the meal while somebody else serves me.

No comments: